Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 

Reflections

So I am not sure why I didn't post immediately following the run in Philidelphia. Perhaps I just wanted my foot to feel better, or maybe I was just lazy...In any case, it was a wonderful adventure. I arrived Saturday night with Danny, Akiva, and my friend Bracha. We stayed at a wonderful Marriot hotel just outside of Phili. I say that the hotel was wonderful because the beds were extremely comfortable and the rooms were very clean. Sunday morning I woke up very excited. I am not sure I have ever kept up an exercise program such as this and now I was reaching my thirteen-mile goal...

Running is a unique way to explore a city. I have visitied Phildelphia before but saw some select sites. On this course I got an overview of the famous sites, small stores, restaraunts, parks, boathouses, colleges...I didn't need an iPod during the race because I was so entertained by my surroundings.

At mile six Bracha met me on 20th street. It was great fun to run with her for a block before I continued on the next seven miles. Seeing familiar faces really does energize you. I know it was only thirteen miles, but it's still nice to share the experience with people that are close to you...and at the same time I was sharing this eperience with thousands of other people I didn't know yet still felt connected to. This was evident around mile 9. There was a huge hill and I was just about to slow down and start to walk when a woman next to me gave me some sports beans and told me I was going to be ok.

I guess the best line of the day was at mile 10 when someone on the sidelines yelled "Run Skirt Lady, Run"

I've kind of taken a bit of a break the past week and a half. My right foot was in a lot of pain at the end of the race. I suppose I wasn't watching my step and landed on it strangely. It's much better now and I think it's time to start moving once again. I need to come up withi a new goal. I think that will be to work on my time. I finished the face in 2:08 and I think next time I will finish in 2:00. I know I can do it. My goal this time was to get to thirteen and now that I now I can finish, I want to finish faster.

Throught these past few months people ask me if I feel healthier. I tell them it's hard to compare because you get used to a new baseline. But I feel good, I feel strong, I feel I can set more goals and complete them.

Comments:
What are sports beans?
 
i was expecting something like: "I came, I saw, I conquered Philly!" Go team einstein!
 
I knew you could do it Tinablue87:)
 
Congrats on your first half marathon. Your race report was worth the wait. That hill was tough. I also ate some sports beans around that time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?